Welcome to Our Lovable Labs, Georgia. English Labrador Retriever Puppies for all purposes.

Breeders of high quality AKC Labrador Retriever Puppies (Lab Pups) in White, Ivory, Yellow, Red, Chocolate & Black.

Acorn and Oak Leaf Dangers....

Guide to Pet-Safe House Plants

Click the link below to learn more about the dangers of dogs eating acorns,
or drinking water with oak leaves floating in it!  And other seasonal poisonous items that can be harmful to your dog!!


Acorns and other Seasonal Things Can Make Dogs Sick!!

Another product that is VERY dangerous to dogs are Cocoa Mulch.  This is manufactured by Hershey and is a product meant for gardens, etc.  This is a blurb from their website, although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label:  "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).  However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."  Is it worth finding out the hard way if your dog is one of the 2% that will?  DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU HAVE A DOG OR CAT!!  This product is HIGHLY TOXIC to dogs and cats, and can even be deadly.


I recently received this info via an email from a friend.   It  has  been  verified  to  be  true.  Please read it  and  pass the  info to your  friends  as  well.

If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on.  If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.  

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.  He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime , I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....   Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at
1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.  At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given Lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. 

Another article I stumbled upon and would like to share, just in case--hopefully you will NEVER NEED IT!!!  But read it, just in case you do.  http://www.thedogplace.org/NUTRITION/Raisin-Poison_Wiggins-147.asp

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too!!

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above...   http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp